Wednesday, January 9, 2019

My Name

From the Greek name meaning “manly”,
Which I aspire to be . . .

A multitude of men have had this name.
Two U.S. presidents,
Kings of Hungary,
A British prince,
A Scottish American steel-titan of the industrial revolution,
World famous artists,
A tennis champion,
and then;
there’s me . . .

My ancestors were from Scotland,
and my name manifests that heritage.
My first and last names linked by a middle name,
Which is the same as my dad´s . . .

Strong, simple
Bright, and clear.
As familiar as a copper penny,
easy to spell, and to say.
But a daunting history to meet.

Andrew Scott MacMillan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...