Monday, February 26, 2018

Reclaiming My Classroom - Ms. Magazine Blog



Reclaiming My Classroom - Ms. Magazine Blog

"Twenty-four, idealistic, and teaching 11th grade American Literature, I could think of no better text to assign than The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Years earlier, that book connected with me in a way that no other piece of writing had—and I was a reader. As a floundering 20-year-old in college, Plath’s novel defined an unknown part of myself. I forged a connection to Esther Greenwood and Plath herself, making me feel a little less alone in this world. And isn’t that the essence of literature?

As I was soon to discover, it wasn’t just reluctant teenage readers that would stand as a barrier to my idealism, but the literary canon itself."





'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...