Saturday, April 9, 2016

Alone By Isha Iftikhar

Alone
Her face was pale.   Her green eyes showing sadness.  Her clothes ragged, fitting loosely on her bony figure.  She looked no older than 10.  
I remember I was walking along the streets of New York.  My family and I were going to spend Winter break here. I was giddy with excitement. We were about to enter a café when I noticed a small figure sitting against one of the walls. I couldn’t see her face clearly, but she definitely looked like she was cold. Shouldn’t she be sitting inside? Where’s her family?  I was about to ask my mom, but my brother dragged me inside to show me the cool arcade games. We played for a few minutes, and ate afterwards.  As we left the cafe, I noticed the girl was still sitting there. I walked up to her to get a closer look.
Her face was pale.   Her green eyes showing sadness.  Her clothes ragged, fitting loosely on her boney figure.  She looked no older than 10.  The same age as my little brother, Daxton.
I was about to call her name.  Suddenly a tall man blocked my view.  He said, “what are you still doing here you ugly beast?  I thought I told you to get away from my bakery.”  
“S-sorry,” she stammered. She was about to get up but she tripped and fell. The people around her started laughing.  How cruel.  I moved to the side and asked her if she was ok.  She nodded yes.  I heard my name.  I whirled around.  
“Come on.  We’re going to be late for Matilda (the Broadway show).”
“Mom is it ok if I catch up to you guys?”
“Sure, but be safe,” she said hesitantly.
“I will!”
I walked towards the girl again.  She was now sitting against the lamp post on the street.  
“Hi, my name is Marie. What’s your name?”
“It’s Anna.”
“So why are you outside?  Where is your family?”
“I don’t have one she said with no emotion.”
I immediately felt bad for asking.  Her stomach grumbled.
“When was the last time you ate?”
“I don’t remember.  I think it was two days ago.” She said with a small smile.
“Oh, um here take this.” I told her while handing her a $50.00 bill.
“Are you sure?”
“Positive.”
“Thank you,” she said in a quiet whisper!
Suddenly an idea popped in my head.  My aunt Cordelia owned an orphanage close by.  She was the sweetest lady ever.  I was positive she would take Anna in.
“Let’s get you food, then find a place for you.”
An hour later…
I stepped out of the orphanage proud of myself walking towards the theater.  Aunt Cordelia had gladly taken in Anna.  They instantly became the best of friends.  
There are millions of people without a home or family.  We don’t even glance at them. Most people are rude to them just because they don’t have a home or family.  But it’s not their fault.  They didn’t choose for it to be that way. They smile for the littlest things.  We take things for granted.  A lot of people get handed stuff, but some aren’t as fortunate as others.  I stepped into the warm theater.  I was so glad I met Anna today.  It taught me that you should be happy with what you have.  You should never take stuff for granted.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...