Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Fault in Our Thoughts
By:  Sreya Palnati
There is more to this world than grades, beauty, and gossip.  There are things that are more “pure” in the world such as friendship, kindness, and perseverance.  It feels as if the fact that we are being reminded of the same thing repeatedly wears down the actual meaning of the idea.  In the book The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has a way of presenting this idea that continues to blow my mind every time I read it. 
This author tells a delectable love story.  Although this story isn’t the stereotypical relationship, it relates to modern relationships in many ways.  For example, not everyone is perfect.  It is okay to have imperfections.  Hazel and Augustus learn to accept each other’s imperfections.  This is necessary in many of today’s relationships.  This is because people are constantly growing to be more diverse.  We are learning our own imperfections and different natural talents.  Even though I may not have uncovered any natural talents, I am still learning more about myself.  In the past few years, I have learned to accept who I am.  I learned not to be someone else, the person who I wish I was.  Hazel truly motivated me to feel this way.  She doesn’t change who she is throughout the book, even when people tell her about her limitations. 
Also, it’s okay to make small mistakes once in a while; it is not the end of your life.  Well in Hazel’s point of view, her life could end any minute.  This shows me that other people have it worse.  I shouldn’t be stressing over my small “problems” when it could be much worse.  It actually took me a while to learn this.  At one point in the summer, I realized that I was acting really spoiled and had become very lazy.  That was when I knew that I had to change my ways.  Reading this book made me realize that I was lucky just to be living.  There are people in this world who don’t sleep at night with full stomachs, people who can only take a bath every other day.   Some people have to even walk tens of miles just to get some medicine.  Now here I am in my room too lazy to go downstairs and wash my clothes.  It made me feel ashamed.  I felt as if I was taking advantage of my circumstances, which I was.  Nowadays, I take the time to appreciate what I was given.  Hazel’s delayed death allowed her to fall in love with Augustus Waters, a persistent and truly ambitious young man.  She was given a chance, a chance to start over, build up her life again.  She definitely made the right decisions and used her second chance to be happy.  She experienced things she never had before. 
I hope to someday positively impact someone’s life the way Hazel did.  I want to make them think “I sure am happy Sreya was in my life!”  I want them to know me for who I am, not somebody I made up on the top of my mind.  I want them to remember me at times of doubt, fear, and sadness.  I want them to replace those feeling with faith, hope, and happiness when they think of me.  In this book, Hazel impacted Augustus’ life in a way that I know I will probably never achieve.  She taught him that there are people in the world who care about him and stuck to her own beliefs while showing Gus the true meaning of life. 

This book shows the ups and downs of life and how we should appreciate the good things instead of being concerned with the bad things.  Just live in the moment and be thankful for what you are given.  After all, “you don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do get to choose who hurts you!”  Take advantage of that fact and just be happy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...