Peer Revision Norms
Step 1: Writer introduces assignment to reviewer(s).
- What is the purpose of this writing?
- What do you consider the strengths of this writing?
- What are your concerns, if any, about the writing at this point?
- Describe the revision and editing that you have done on this paper.
Step 2: Choose one method agreed upon in class.
- Read Aloud
- Print and mark up
- Exchange and comment (computer)
- Discuss and take notes
Step 3: Constructively review for the key questions below, the concerns of the writer, or share any other feedback. Be positive, be helpful, be a writing teammate.
Did the writer stay focused and share original and fresh information or perspective about the topic?
Does the organizational structure enhance the ideas and make it easier to understand? Or does it overpower the ideas like too much perfume in a crowded elevator?
Would you keep reading this piece if it were longer? Much longer?
Do the words and phrases create vivid pictures in the reader’s mind?
Can you feel the words and phrases flow together as you read it aloud?
How much editing would have to be done to be ready to share with an outside source?
***Remember to submit ALL parts (clean first draft, first draft with comments, new draft) to Coach Koch