Monday, October 5, 2015

4 bases, 3 strikes, 2 teams, 1 winner



            When I step on the freshly raked field, feeling the dirt under my cleats, I feel proud of the game that I play. I belong on the diamond. The smell of the newly cut grass, the sound of metal cleats on concrete, the feeling after you make a big play, and hearing everyone cheer for you is a special feeling.
            I started playing t-ball when I was five years old. It has always been a part of my life. I was so proud of myself when I was seven and made the boys baseball all-star team. I was the only girl in league history to play with the boys. One of my most memorable moments, however, is when I hit my first over-the-fence homerun. I’ll never forget, the feeling running around the bases and rounding third base, seeing all of my teammates crowding around home plate, waiting to celebrate with me. Or when I turned my first double play, flipping the ball from my glove to our second baseman as she tapped the bag with her foot and fired the ball over to first base. I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs in softball, but I hope to continue doing what makes me happiest for a long time to come.

            If you play softball you will share some smiles, but with that also comes times when you will shed some tears. There are great wins and tough losses. The game can change in just a minute. I will always remember when I was ten, playing in the USSSA World Series tournament, coming back from being down in the bottom of the last inning, going into ITB (international tie breaker), and then becoming the World Series champions. On the other hand, I’ll never forget winning the entire game in the PONY Nationals tournament and then falling behind in the last inning and giving them the game. Softball comes with mixed emotions, hard work, and a lot of dedication, but I am willing to take the risks. I hope softball will always be a part of my life because I don’t know what I would do without it.
By: Becca Ludowig

1 comment:

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...