Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Business Letter to the Georgia Institute of Technology


October 9, 2014

Georgia Institute of Technology

North Ave.

Atlanta, Georgia 30332

Dear Georgia Institute of Technology Representative:

Approximately 14 years ago, my parents graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology. This is why I grew up hearing about Georgia Tech my whole childhood. As a child, I grew up with a Yellow Jacket stuffed animal and learned to correct others when they called it a "bee". I also memorized the lyrics to "I'm a Wramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" fight song as an 8 year old little girl. As I grew in height, my hatred for the University of Georgia also grew. Although there were some times where I wanted to go to other schools such as the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, or even Harvard, I always ended up settling on Georgia Tech.

I am currently a Freshman at Rock Ridge High School in Ashburn, Virginia and taking the highest level academic courses offered to me at school. As a Ninth Grader, I am taking Algebra 2/Trigonometry, Honors Biology, Spanish 3, Pre AP World History and Geography, and Honors English for my academic classes. I am also participating in Advanced Mixed Chorus, Study Hall, and Health and PE for my other blocks. As with extracurricular activities, I am on my school's Freshman Volleyball team and in the All Female A Cappella Club. Over the summer, I took the summer school course of Earth Science because I enjoy science and want to take as many science classes as possible. This allowed me to get a headstart to my first year in high school, and the course gave me something to do over the summer. In the next three years of high school, I plan on taking the most advanced science classes, at least 2 AP social science classes out of 4 years of social science classes, and 4 years of honor level English. By the end of Senior year, I hope to have finished AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, and AP Spanish.My favorite classes have always been math and science, and I believe that going to a college that will help me develop skills in my interests is the best college for me. I am also intrigued by the idea of pursuing a career in Computer Science or Computer Programming.

The purpose of this letter wasn't just to talk about how much I love Georgia Tech but about how to get into Georgia Tech. After taking 4 years of advanced courses in every subject, I hope to be able to attend the Georgia Institute of Technology, but I have found a few obstacles blocking my path to my future at Georgia Tech. I have calculated that it will cost about $100,000-$120,000 to go to Georgia Tech for a full four years and get my Bachelor's Degree in the study of my choice, due to living out-of-state. This is not accounting for the price of books, housing, food, and inflation. Student debt is increasing greatly and will likely continue to incresase for years to come, which worries me about my future. Either I risk going to my dream college and being in debt for a long time or I go to an in-state college for less and don't get to go to my dream college. Even though my parents both went out-of-state to Georgia Tech, neither of them want me going to an out-of-state school and spending money we don't have. They have agreed to pay for some of my college and possibly loan me interest-free money, but I'm still worried about my future. Yes, I can try to get scholarships and get a job, but I want to go to Georgia Tech knowing that I won't be in debt the rest of my life. Do you have any suggestions as to what classes I should start taking, what activities I should be participating in, and ways I can accrue enough money to get through college?

Thank you for your time,

Gwyneth Schloer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...