Monday, October 6, 2014

A Friend’s Suicide

One of my dads’ employees took his life on February 14, 2013.  I wrote this poem in honor of him.  Rest in peace.

A Friend’s Suicide

Ring,
Dads voice,
“J took his life,”
Disbelief, sorrow, pain.

My body shaking,
Voice trembling,
As I listened to the horror,
Darkness.   

Friendliest guy ever,
Polite, sensitive, a gentleman,
Always had smile on his face,
A true gem lost forever.

Why?
Seemed so happy,
Full of energy,
Overflowing with life.

Fashion-conscious,
Always looked put together,
Had no idea,
He felt so alone,

Isolated, empty, sad,
Is this what he felt?
How had I missed the signs?
Perhaps I could have helped.

Grief, tears, guilt,
Wish he would have known,
How truly friends did care,
If only…

Life is fragile,
Offer a smile,
Take a hand,

Embrace everyone.

3 comments:

Featured Post

Socratic Seminar - Community/Justice

Why do we feel the need to belong?  How do we maintain our individual identities and be part of a community? What are the benefits and draw...